The Cheley Camp Tour Returns By Popular Demand
On Tuesday, July 21, the Estes Park Museum is sponsoring a tour of the historic Cheley Colorado Camp from 10 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. This tour is facilitated by the Estes Park Museum and guided by Cheley Camp staff. Space is limited. Reservations are required and can be made beginning July 1 by calling the Museum at 970-577-6732. The tour is free for members of the Estes Park Museum Friends & Foundation, Inc. and $5 for non-members, payable by cash or check the day of the tour.
Estes Park was a sleepy mountain town in 1921 when Frank Cheley founded Cheley Colorado Camps as the Bear Lake Trail School at Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. Just 24 campers attended that first year. By 1926, the camp grew to accommodate 60 boys who swam in the frigid lake and ate meals at the Bear Lake Lodge. By 1927, the camp outgrew the available space and the Cheley Colorado Camps moved to its present location off Fish Creek Road, where its legacy continues today.
Cheley now hosts more than 1,000 campers annually. The camps are among the oldest in the country, and they have brought thousands of campers and their families to Estes Park over the years. Join the Estes Park Museum and the staff of Cheley Colorado Camps to learn more about the camp and tour Cheley’s magnificent rustic stick architecture cabins and lodges.
Participants with reservations should carpool when possible as parking is limited. Meet at the Ski Hi Lodge at Cheley Camp beginning at 9:45 a.m. on July 21. Travel about four miles south from Estes Park on Colorado Hwy 7. Turn left onto Fish Creek Way. Then go 0.2 miles and continue straight ahead onto the dirt road as Fish Creek Way curves to the left. Follow the winding main road for 1.3 miles to the lodge. Volunteers will direct you to parking.
Now through October, the Museum, located at 200 Fourth Street, is open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. Closed July 3 and 4. Current exhibits at the Museum include Patchwork Storytellers, an exploration of quilting in Estes Park, located in the National Park Service Headquarters building and Altered Landscapes in the main gallery. The mission of the Estes Park Museum is to collect, interpret and preserve local history, as well as to present exhibits, programs and events for the education and benefit of residents and visitors of all ages. For more information call the Estes Park Museum at 586-6256 or visit the Museum’s website at www.estes.org/museum. Admission is always free.
Individuals interested in supporting the Museum can join the Estes Park Museum Friends & Foundation, Inc. for as little as $30 annually. Benefits include invitations to special events, receptions and tours such as the Downtown Walking tour and other historic tours with guides including Estes Park Historian Laureate Jim Pickering. Members also receive discounts on retail purchases at the Museum Shop, a complementary Friends publication and a subscription to the quarterly newsletters Museum Pieces and Friends to Friends.