October Estes Park Archives Programs
This Saturday, October 5, the Estes Park Archives kicks off its fall schedule of local history programs with the illustrated lecture “1899: The Year Nothing and Everything Happened in Estes Park.” John Meissner, after extensive microfilm research and data-mining of various state and national archived newspaper sites, will explode some of the misconceptions surrounding this pivotal year from Estes Park’s past.
The following Saturday, October 12, Bill Meirath from Loveland will talk about his experiences traveling the Bald Mountain-Pole Hill Road, the original route from Loveland to Estes Park which was used as a temporary road after the 1976 Big Thompson Flood. This road is now gated, but appears to have survived the recent destruction that severely impacted other routes into Estes Park from the east.
Rounding out the month of October will be the talk “What’s Next for Glen Haven’s History?” by Duke Sumonia, Glen Haven historian, on October 19, and “Treasures from the Estes Park Archives” on October 26.
Duke’s extensive set of Glen Haven history notebooks survived the flood, but the building it was to be housed in has been swept away.
Duke will speak about potential alternative storage sites. One week later, recent additions to the Estes Park Archives ephemera collection will be on display for examination and discussion, including two pieces of MacGregor Ranch history dating to 1876 acquired from a Denver collection.
All programs are free of charge and begin at 1:00 p.m. in the George Hix Community Room of the U.S. Bank building at 363 East Elkhorn Avenue. Reservations are not required. Lectures generally last from 45 minutes to one hour, with free healthy snacks and drinks provided.
For directions or more information, call 970-232-4145, or check the Estes Park archives website at estesparkarchives.com.