Museum Exhibit Celebrates 125 Years Of Schools
A new Community Case exhibit in the lobby of the Estes Park Museum celebrates the history of Estes Park schools and the 125th anniversary of the first community school. The Community Case exhibit observes 125 years of public education in Estes Park. The colorful exhibit features memorabilia from the schools including sheet music for the Bobcat War Song, an old diploma, grade cards, yearbooks and much more. This exhibit will run through the month of December, 2008.
In 1883 several Estes Park families requested that Larimer County establish a local school district for the 15 local children ages six through eight years. The District was established and Dr. Judson Ellis began teaching at Elkhorn Lodge. The first school house was constructed in 1886, but teachers still traveled to lodges and homesteads as many children were unable to get transportation to the school house. One hundred twenty-five years later, Park School District enrolls nearly 1,300 students, provides student transportation and operates three school facilities for students in kindergarten through grade twelve.
Now through October, the Museum is open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. until 5:00 p.m. The mission of the Estes Park Museum is to collect, interpret and preserve local history, as well as to present exhibits, programs and events for the education and benefit of residents and visitors of all ages. For more information call the Estes Park Museum at 586-6256 or visit the Museum’s website at www.estesnet.com/museum. Admission is always free.