You Are Here: Home » Estes Valley Spotlight » History Program On ”1905 In Estes Park”

History Program On ”1905 In Estes Park”

Downtown Estes Park, no later than 1905   Photo credit:  From "The Story of Estes Park and a Guide Book" by Enos Abijah Mills (1905 edition).

Downtown Estes Park, no later than 1905 Photo credit: From “The Story of Estes Park and a Guide Book” by Enos Abijah Mills (1905 edition).

This Saturday, June 29, beginning at 1:00 p.m., and on the two following Saturdays, the Estes Park Archives will embark on a study of one of the most significant years in Estes Park’s history: 1905.

1905 was the year a group of Loveland and Berthoud investors, headed by Cornelius H. Bond, purchased John Cleave’s 160-acre ranch in the heart of what would become downtown Estes Park. 1905 was the year the Estes Park Hotel was rechristened the Dunraven Hotel, and the Dunraven property began a major transition. 1905 was the year stage coach routes along canyon roads leading to Estes were turned over to automobiles, and the summer of 1905 added another name to a growing list of mountain outings with tragic outcomes, when young Louis Levings fell to his death from the summit of Mount Ypsilon.

As with all Estes Park Archives programs, illustrated lectures last 45 to 60 minutes, are open to the public, and are free of charge. Programs are held in the George Hix Community Room of the USBank building at 363 East Elkhorn Avenue. Reservations are not required, but more information can be obtained by calling 970-232-4145.

© 2014 Estes Park News, Inc

Scroll to top