Edward M. Weaver
Edward Myers Weaver, Jr. was born September 6, 1927 in Columbus, Nebraska to Edward and Phyllis (McCann) Weaver. His family moved to Lincoln, NE when he was two years old, as his father sold the family coal business and sought employment in Lincoln, in the midst of the Depression. In 1932 his father and mother began what was to become the Weaver Potato Chip Company in the basement of their home. Ed grew up in the business, taking over when his father retired in 1956. He enlarged the company, occupying several different plants and finally built and new, modern facility in the Lincoln Industrial Park, in 1964. He was active in the industry and served as President of the International Potato Chip and Snack Food Association in 1968, traveling in Europe, Canada, and other countries in that capacity. He was active in other business and professional organizations, founding the Western Potato Company in Alliance, NE, and serving as a Vice President of the American Management Association. He was active in Kiwanis Club youth projects, as well as leading a 4-H Horse Club for 10 years, with his wife Lois, who he married in 1950.
They were very active in the Square Dance community, where Ed was a caller in Lincoln and Omaha and while in the Army Counter Intelligence Corps from 1952-1954. He was an elder in the Lincoln Westminster Presbyterian Church, and later served in several other churches as an organizer, elder, and musician. He had many interests, earning his pilot’s license when he was 16, and flying many hours on business trips, as well as serving in the Civil Air Patrol and being a founder of the FreLin Soaring Association, where he and other enthusiasts owned and enjoyed flying sailplanes. Ed had a life-long love of music which matured during his years at Lincoln High School and the University of Nebraska. He played piano, organ, clarinet, saxophone, harmonica, guitar, and composed several songs, the most popular of which was, with his potato partner, Louis Knoflicek, in Alliance, “The Coyote Song,” which has entertained groups far and wide. He was part of a consortium of Lincoln businessmen which bought the Elkhorn Lodge in Estes Park, and managed it for several seasons, later being active in the development of Elkhorn Club Estates, where Ed and Lois built their home in 1970. Ed was also active in the Nebraska Republican Party and also published the Capital Times Newspaper in Lincoln.
Upon his retirement in 1999 Ed and Lois moved to Estes Park permanently where they were active in community functions and committed servants of Jesus Christ at Mtn. View Bible Fellowship. Along with many hours of volunteerism Ed and Lois owned and operated the Sword & Scroll Christian Bookstore for 18 years before selling it in 2002.
Ed was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Lois, who passed away in April of 2012. Following her death Ed spent his remaining days as a resident at the Seven Lakes Care Center in Loveland, CO.
Ed is survived by his son, Matthew, grandson Byron, sister Mary Lou Thornton of Lincoln, NE, and many nieces and nephews. His body has been given to the CU Medical School with final cremation to follow. A celebration of Ed Weaver’s life will take place at Mountain View Bible Fellowship, 1575 S. St. Vrain Ave., on Saturday, April 20, 2013. The service will begin at 11:00 a.m. officiated by the Rev. Dr. Hal Irvine.