Cheley Camp Tour Returns By Popular Demand
On Saturday, September 13, the Estes Park Museum is sponsoring a tour of the historic Cheley Colorado Camp from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This tour is facilitated by the Estes Park Museum and guided by Cheley Camp staff. Space is limited and reservations are required by calling the Museum at 970-586-6256. The tour is free for members of the Estes Park Museum Friends & Foundation, Inc. and $5 for non-members, payable by cash or check the day of the tour.
Estes Park was a sleepy mountain town in 1921 when Frank Cheley founded Cheley Colorado Camps as the Bear Lake Trail School at Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. Just 24 campers attended that first year. By 1926, the camp grew to accommodate 60 boys who swam in the lake and ate meals at the Bear Lake Lodge. By 1927, the camp outgrew the available space and the Cheley Colorado Camps moved to its present location off of Fish Creek Road, where its legacy continues today.
Cheley now hosts more than 1,000 campers annually. The camps are among the oldest camps in the country, and they have brought thousands of campers and families to Estes Park over the years. Join the Estes Park Museum and the staff of Cheley Colorado Camps as we learn more about the camp and tour Cheley’s magnificent rustic stick architecture cabins and lodges.
Participants with reservations should meet at the Cheley Camp beginning at 9:45 a.m. on September 13. Travel about 4 miles south from Estes Park on Colorado Hwy 7. Turn left onto Fish Creek Way. Then, go about 2 blocks and continue straight ahead onto the dirt road as Fish Creek Way curves to the left. Continue past Fish Creek Ranch to the second left. Go through the arch and up the hill to the office on the right. Volunteers will direct you to parking.
Individuals interested in supporting the Museum can join the Estes Park Museum Friends & Foundation, Inc. for as little as $30 annually. Benefits include invitations to special events, receptions and tours such as the Cheley Camps tour and the summer historic tours with guides including Estes Park Historian Laureate Jim Pickering. Members also receive discounts on retail purchases at the Museum Shop, a complementary Friends publication and a subscription to the quarterly newsletters Museum Pieces and Friends to Friends.
The mission of the Estes Park Museum is to collect, interpret and preserve local history, as well as present exhibits, programs and events, for the education and benefit of residents and visitors of all ages. For more information call the Estes Park Museum at 586-6256 or visit the Museum’s website at www.estesnet.com/Museum. The Museum is located at 200 4th Street and is open daily 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. Admission is always free.