A Letter From Fire Board Candidate Bud Duryea
My name is Bud Duryea and I am an incumbent candidate for the Board of Directors of the Estes Valley Fire Protection District.
The purpose of this letter is to encourage your readers to vote in this important election on May 8, 2012, to demonstrate my commitment and contribution to the community and to endorse fellow members Jack Rumley and Bob Cheney as part of an effective leadership team that has guided the District since inception.
Qualifications for re-election are:
• Commitment to public safety programs for the Estes Valley and my respect for those who put themselves in harm’s way for us.
• Experience on the inaugural board of the District and leadership service as Treasurer for the District and the Pension Fund Board of Trustees.
• Established professional accounting, finance and auditing functions through negotiated service agreements. The District has received clean opinions for its first two audits.
• Implemented an annual investment program for future capital purchases, mitigating external financing needs or increases in the property tax millage for the foreseeable future.
From an organizational perspective, Jack, Bob and I along with the other board members, have been successful in accomplishing the following:
• Managed the Districts timely transition from the Town’s management with no loss in efficiency.
• Implemented the first fire code for the Estes Valley.
• Implemented a Length of Service Award Program to financially demonstrate to our fire fighters their value to the community and enhance our “recruiting and retention” program.
• Implemented a Shift Incentive Program to compensate the fire fighters who commit to manning the fire station in shifts in order to reduce incident response times.
This board has repeatedly demonstrated its integrity. For example, state law provides that each member is “entitled” to a $100 stipend per meeting for up to 16 meetings a year. The total cost to the District (and the taxpayers) is approximately $8000/year. Each year we have declined this compensation and reinvested the money into the District’s annual operating budget.
Serving the citizens and visitors in the Estes Valley community is a responsibility I take seriously. I believe that it is in the best interest of the Estes Valley community to retain Jack, Bob and myself as board members of the District.
Estes Park, Colorado