Town Board Submits Comments To WAPA
The Town of Estes Park will submit a list of comments, in the form of the attached resolution, for Western Area Power Administration to consider during the scoping period for the proposed Estes-Flatiron Transmission Rebuild Project. We understand that this proposed project is in its earliest stages and we appreciate the opportunity to comment.
RESOLUTION NO. 18-11
A RESOLUTION TO CONSIDER COMMENTS FOR WESTERN AREA POWER AUTHORITY’S PROPOSED TRANSMISSION LINE FOR THE ESTES-FLATIRON REBUILD PROJECT
WHEREAS, the Town Board of Trustees of the Town of Estes Park became aware of a proposal by the Department of Energy’s Western Area Power Administration to commence an environmental assessment for its proposed Estes-Flatiron Rebuild Project; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees of the Town of Estes Park strongly encourages and requests the Department of Energy consider alternatives to mitigate the following potential negative impacts of the Estes-Flatiron Rebuild Project to the greater Estes Valley:
1) Impacts of transmission lines and towers and their effect on property owners near the right-of-way; and
2) Impacts of the transmission lines and towers on the rural character, majestic views, and the overall natural beauty of the area; and
3) Impacts to the local economy in the Estes Valley that emphasizes natural attractions for lodging, retail and recreational activities; and
4) Impacts of the transmission lines and towers to the Estes Valley view sheds, corridors and aesthetic values that support a successful Estes Valley economic tourism base; and
5) Impacts of not undergrounding transmission lines which may leave above ground transmissions lines and towers vulnerable to terrorist threats; may result in tower failure and potential wildfire issues to an area already dealing with the impact of bark beetle infestation; and potential environmental damage from lightning and arcing of transmission lines; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees recommends that the Department of Energy consider the negative impacts of the proposed project’s encroachment into the greater Estes Valley Planning Area; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees requests the Department of Energy consider the impacts of the proposed project to an Estes Valley landmark located on U.S. Highway 36 known as the “Estes Park” welcome sign where visitors routinely photograph their arrival to Estes Park; and
WHEREAS, the Board of Trustees requests the Department of Energy consider undergrounding transmission lines now and in the future, specifically transmission lines and towers along the U.S. Highway 36 causeway when such projects are presented.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE TOWN OF ESTES PARK, COLORADO.
The Board of Trustees hereby expresses its fervent request to the Department of Energy to consider the issues presented concerning the Department of Energy’s proposed Estes-Flatiron Rebuild project during the preparation of the project environmental assessment review.
INTRODUCED, READ, AND PASSED BY THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE TOWN OF ESTES PARK, TOWN OF ESTES PARK, COLORADO
Mayor Bill Pinkham
Information on the project and the public comment period is available ww2.wapa.gov/sites/western/transmission/infrastruct/Pages/Estes-Flatiron.aspx. If you have questions on the proposed project, please contact Western Area Power Administration directly at 720-962-7050 or EstesFlatironEA@wapa.gov.