Light And Power Shop Renamed To Honor Robert L. Dekker
The Town of Estes Park’s Light and Power shop now has a new name: The Robert L. Dekker Light and Power Service Center. This moves honors the community-wide contributions of longtime Estes Park resident and public servant, Robert L. “Bob” Dekker. Dekker passed away last February at the age of 82.
A dedication ceremony and reception took place at the Light and Power Shop on Monday, Sept. 12. The shop is located at 615 Elm Road. Dekker’s former colleagues, coworkers, family, friends all attended the ceremony. At the event, a new sign bearing his name was unveiled in front of the building.
A graduate of Estes Park High School, Dekker attended the University of Colorado before enlisting in the military. He was a Korean War veteran. Dekker began working for Town of Estes Park’s Light and Power Division in 1957. He served in many capacities during his tenure, including as the division’s director, before retiring in 1991. His community service didn’t end there. After his retirement, Dekker was elected to serve first as a Town Trustee in 1992 and then as the Town’s Mayor from 1996-2000.
Dekker was one of the original four founding members of Platte River Power Authority (PRPA), Estes Park’s electric power provider. He was a member of PRPA’s board of directors for 35 years, serving first as secretary of that body from 1965-1982; then as chairman from 1982-1991; and as a director from 1991-2000.
During his lifetime Dekker was active in many community organizations, among them the Fine Arts Guild of the Rockies, Estes Park Museum, Masonic Lodge, American Legion, Rotary International and the Lions Club. He was also involved with the local school board, volunteer fire department, Colorado Association of Municipal Utilities, and the Rocky Mountain Electrical League.