Upcoming Estes Park History Rescue Projects
The Estes Park History Rescue Project has teamed up with owners of historic downtown business properties to provide informal programs and tours throughout the summer. For the remaining Saturdays in May, selected buildings on block 2, the north side of East Elkhorn Avenue between Bighorn and Virginia, will be profiled. On Saturday, May 14, the former Hupp Hotel/current Rocky Mountain Tops, along with the former Baird Gift Shop/current Rustic Mountain Charm, will be part of a 45-minute walking tour.
On Saturday, May 21, businesses predating the current Rocky Mountain Connection and Granny Ginghams complex, including Western Brands, the Estes Park Market Company, and Dr. Reid’s clinic, will be featured. On Saturday, May 28, the corner lots housing the original Sam Service Store, home, and barn will be studied in some detail. These tours are free, but space is limited, and preference will be given to regular meeting attendees and those who reserve space ahead of time.
All tours will begin with a short orientation in the George Hix Community Room in the US Bank building at 363 East Elkhorn Avenue. Those wanting to participate in the tour should arrive at the George Hix Community Room no later than 1:30 p.m., and must meet here first rather than at the businesses being toured, so that a count can be obtained and members of the tour group properly identified. For more details, call 970-232-4145 or contact us via the estesparkarchives.com website.
How many sponsors of the Miss Estes Park contest were block 2 businesses in 1940? Photo courtesy George Peck.