Open Burning Restrictions
As of noon June 25, a ban on open fires for the unincorporated portions of Larimer County goes into effect. Also in effect, a ban on use of fireworks and public fireworks displays are also restricted but for a specific portion of the unincorporated area:
• The unincorporated area west of County Road 19 (Taft in Fort Collins & Wilson in Loveland), or west of County Roads 21 or 23 where County Road 19 does not exist; and, north of County Road 60, or north of County Road 58 where County Road 60 does not exist. Map available here.
The restrictions are set to expire on Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013. Today’s restrictions were based on a recommendation from the Larimer County Sheriff’s office.
• Today’s restrictions mean that no open fires are allowed, no open camp or cooking fires.
• Smoking in the open is not allowed under these restrictions.
• No fireworks or fireworks displays (in the mapped area) are allowed under these restrictions.
• No agricultural burning is allowed under these restrictions.
NOT RESTRICTED TODAY: Contained open fires are not restricted at this time.
• Contained Open Fires mean fires in permanently constructed stationary masonry or metal fireplaces specifically designed for the purpose of combustion.
• The use of internal or external combustion engine with a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order and meeting published standards.
• Fireplaces or wood stoves located inside permanent structures.
• Fires in commercially operated wood and/or charcoal fired grills designed for cooking.
• Charcoal fired grills when used at a private residence and located on a non-combustible surface of at least ten feet in diameter.
• Fires such as those in camp stoves and grills using gas or pressurized liquid,
The Sheriff may give limited exemptions from these restrictions based on his pre-approval and inspection.
Any person who knowingly violates the restrictions can be fined. The County’s complete ‘fire ordinance’ is available at: www.larimer.org/policies/. Individual restrictions such as these spell out which items from the ordinance are allowed and not-allowed.